Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Time in the City

Seeing that Christmas is right around the corner, I thought I would update the blog since this is a good time to do it and I am normally not very successful at doing this often. However; I have been extremely busy falling more and more in love with my most favorite girl in the world, McKenzee Anderson. There sure has been quite a bit going on the past few months as we are now engaged to be married and have been now for about two months. Oh boy! Time flies!

McKenzee and I have had such a great time being in love and being engaged. The past two months have been a lot of fun and have been filled with a lot of incredible activities! Summer finished off with a bang with a fun evening up at Sundance to see the outdoor play, "The Sound of Music". This was such a great time as we took the whole family with us and really enjoyed ourselves. Along with this came two Lake Powell trips, one with each family. October is definitely not the prime time of year to be in the normally sweltering hot Lake Powell, nevertheless, Lake Powell is Lake Powell. Many games were played and pictures taken as 2 trips to Powell in 3 weeks were complete. The following week was one of the most important weeks of our new young lives together.

Thursday October 13, 2011 will surely be a day that we will remember forever. What appeared to be a normal Thursday evening for McKenzee turned out to be her first day of being an engaged woman. Kenzee normally has school in the evenings until 10 or so which makes it very difficult to make any type of big plans to ask her to be married, however; I am awesome and made it happen. We had previously arranged to go shopping at the Gateway Mall on her fall break from school, which happened to be this same Thursday. Wednesday morning I coordinated with all of our siblings and their spouses and parents to meet us downtown for a treasure hunt throughout the Gateway to eventually get to the place where I would ask McKenzee to marry me. As we approached the mall I made secret phone calls and messages to make sure that everyone was in place and the clues were given and ready to go. Each sibling had a different clue to lead her around from store to store around the mall to get to her expensive prize at the end. Kenzee and I walked up the escalators from the parking lot and just so happened to see my parents...with the first clue. From there at the ice cream parlor to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory she went where her parents were with a carmel apple to enjoy later. Off to American Eagle she went to find Levi, Erin, Aislyn and Drew waiting with her next clue. From there she headed to Bath & Body Works where Zach, Collie, Easton and Corbin were anxiously awaiting to send her off once again. She then had some troubles finding Mandy and Makelle at Abercrombie & Fitch but finally tracked her down. Speedily racing down the sidewalk she neared Victoria's Secret where Rob and Courtney were hiding with the next clue. That pointed her in the direction of the Apple store where Cole snuck her the next clue. She then scooted over to Starbucks where Brad, Ashley and Parker were waiting with some Carmel Apple Cider to partake of soon after that. That last clue instructed her to turn around and head back down the stairs to the fountain where I was waiting with two dozen roses and a HUGE smile. I think at that point she was expecting me to ask her right there, however there was more to the evening than just a treasure hunt. We exchanged Hugs and kisses and plenty of smiles and took a few minutes to say hello to the family, now all gathered together and then made our way behind the Gateway and awaited an arrangement that I had made earlier that day. A horse and buggy came and snagged us up and ventured us to Temple Square. On the 20 or so minute drive, we were able to enjoy our treats and talk about many different things that we wanted in our lives and how awesome our love was for each other. I brought with me the list of qualities and characteristics I had jotted down a few years back and read them to her before we made our way around Temple Square. We then slowly meandered around the square and ended up near the reflection pool. This was such a magnificent sight as we both looked into each others eyes and dreamed of going back one day soon to be married there. The opportunity opened up just perfectly and I went for it. I didn't really have much planned by way of what I wanted to say and I actually don't even really remember what I said but we talked a lot about being in love and being so happy and so grateful that we found each other and most importantly, what we wanted our future to be like together. The time was just right and I got down on one knee and made my move. I asked her how she would like it if both of our names had Merrill on the end. She said that she would really like that. "Will you marry me?" I asked. "Of course" she said with an enormous smile and tears in her eyes. This truly topped off an amazing evening and the beginning of our life together. I have grown to love McKenzee more than she will ever know and I am so thankful for the strength that she gives to me and the love that we share. I honestly wouldn't be half the man I am today without her. She is everything to me and I am so thankful and will forever be grateful for the woman who changed my life and who I will get to the spend the rest of ever with. This is such a great feeling! I don't remember a time when I have been happier!

Other than that, the past few months have been full of a lot of school and work for the both of us. Thanksgiving brought us to Sacramento California where we had some great food and an 80th birthday party for Grandpa Harris. A day in Apple Hill and a few 10 hour drives topped off the trip. We have since had a few Christmas activities to attend to enjoy the Christmas spirit and to help begin our wonderful life together. I seriously couldn't feel more blessed and privileged to be so close to such a remarkable girl. I feel so lucky to be marrying her. I can't wait for the rest of our life together!

No comments:

Post a Comment